Today I arrived in London, the first stop on a six week journey that will end in Florence, Italy. One of the challenges I was presented with prior to leaving for this journey was to think about this experience the same way I would think about a good piece of fiction. As a lover of reading and not so much a lover of travel, this approach appealed to me, so I made a list of what comprises a good piece of fiction, and maybe a good summer abroad.
- Characters: Round and flat, full and developed, main and supporting. People are important, as are what they do and say.
- Setting: The events have to take place somewhere, and that place should be meaningful to what is happening.
- Highs and Lows: Nonstop action is surprisingly boring. Nonstop boringness is, too.
- Resolution: The story has to have an ending, or at least a “to be continued.”
- Meaning: Why does this event matter? How does it connect to the rest of the characters’ lives? How does it connect to the rest of the world?
So the metaphor isn’t perfect, but I like the idea of organizing this trip based on those categories, so here’s a brief introduction to the book Emily’s Adventures Abroad, and Why They are Important and Why You Should Care About Them (working title.)
- Setting: A six week study abroad trip through Great Britain, Greece and Italy sponsored by Barrett, the Honors College.
- Characters:
o Emily (me!): A 21 year old soon to be college senior studying literature and education.
o Taylor, David and Eric: Three students I am spending a week in London with prior to the official start of the program in Athens.
o 43 other students: Fellow Barrett students who begged, borrowed or stole enough money to pay for airfare and summer tuition.
o Professors: Dr. Lynch, Dr. Scott and Dr. Bruhn, Barrett professors who have chaperoned this program many times before.
- Plot: To be determined.
No comments:
Post a Comment